If you are looking for powered access hire equipment but not sure which option is best for your job, Mr Plant Hire has put together this handy guide on the differences between boom lifts and scissor lifts.
The two types of aerial lift’s look very different. Scissor lifts are supported by criss-cross braces that extend upwards for height only, whilst boom lifts have a hydraulic arm which allows for height and outreach.
Most scissor lifts are designed to move only up and down. However; some are able to allow a few feet horizontally by the aid of a extension deck. One of the greatest advantages to scissor lifts is that they feature large platforms that can fit several people at once (along with materials).
Scissor Lifts – what you need to know
- Scissor lifts have larger platforms so excel where multiple workers need to work at an elevated level at the same time.
- Scissor lift hire is significantly less expensive than boom lift hire.
- Scissor lifts are usually suitable for lower heights of 15-50 feet.
- They do however, only move vertically so would not be a good choice if you need to move them up and around obstacles.
Boom Lifts – what you need to know
- Because boom lifts are supported by a hydraulic arm, it means they are capable of manoeuvring around obstacles. The long arms can be angled in many directions to access hard-to-reach places.
- They can also extend to higher elevations, often topping 130 feet, as opposed to a maximum of about 50 feet with a scissor lift.
- Articulating boom lifts have arms that bend, making it easier to move the basket around obstacles.
- Telescopic boom lifts, have straight arms which means they have greater outreach, but the down side being that they are usually more difficult to manoeuvre in tight areas due to size.
- On the down side (compared to Scissor lifts) Boom lifts usually have smaller baskets, which means they hold fewer workers and materials.
- Boom lift hire usually costs more than scissor lifts hire.
Where to hire boom lift and scissor lifts in London and beyond
Enfield-based Mr Plant Hire offers a choice of different diesel, electric and bi-energy scissor lifts for hire for working at heights from up to 38 feet, to 59 feet. It also offers a comprehensive range of boom lifts for hire in the London area across the top brands like JLG, Genie & Niftylift.
Mr Plant Hire’s powered access equipment hire is available in London and nationally on a daily, weekly or a monthly basis at affordable prices. Contact Us now to discuss your requirements. A two-hour response “Fast Quote Service” is available during office hours for quick and competitive pricing.