To keep , Enfield-based London plant hire supplier, Mr Plant Hire has put together the following useful checklist of safe work practices for drivers of construction site vehicles, based on HSE advice.
- Only operate vehicles if you are competent and authorised to drive them
- Do not drive when your abilities are impaired by ill health, poor vision, prescribed or illegal drugs, or alcohol
- Make sure you fully understand the operating procedures of the vehicles you control and all of the accessories you are using
- Know the site emergency procedures
- Understand the system of signals used on site
Permissions & Limitations
- Visiting drivers: seek appropriate authority to enter the site and operate vehicles
- Know the safe operating limitations of your vehicle, particularly relating to safe maximum loads and gradientsCarry out daily checks on your vehicles and report all defects immediately to supervisors
- Follow site procedures and comply with all site rules
- Do not drive at excessive speeds
- Follow established site traffic routes
- Ensure that windows and mirrors are kept clean and clear
- Keep the vehicle tidy and free from items which may hinder the operation of vehicle controls
- Do not allow passengers to ride on vehicles unless safe seating is provided
Parking & Reversing
- Park vehicles on flat ground wherever possible, with the engine switched off, the handbrake and trailer brake applied, and where necessary use wheel chocks
- Do not reverse without checking behind the vehicle for pedestrians, vehicles or obstructions
- Where visibility from the driving position is restricted, use visibility aids or a signaller. Stop if you lose sight of the signaller or the visibility aid becomes defective
Loading and refuelling
- Do not remain on vehicles during loading operations, unless the driver’s position is adequately protected
- Ensure loads are safe to transport
- Do not smoke during refuelling operations
Avoid the following whilst the vehicle is in operation
- Do not attempt to get on or off moving vehicles
- Do not make adjustments with the engine running and guards removed
Mr Plant Hire – your first port of call for London plant hire
Enfield-based, Mr Plant Hire, provide a comprehensive range of plant hire for construction sites including micro excavator hire, mini excavator hire, skip loader hire or mini digger hire across London and the South East.
In response to today’s emphasis on and need to conform to health and safety, Mr Plant Hire now has its own dedicated Company Health & Safety Manager who deals with in-house health and safety and related training and is also available to advise customers at any time on these issues.
Contact Us now for further details or to get a fastquote for your specific plant hire requirements.