Leading Enfield-based construction equipment hire company Mr Plant Hire summarises here the guidance from the Health and Safety Executive , outlining the key questions users should be asking themselves before deciding on the right plant to hire.
Choosing the safest vehicle for the job is an essential part of effective vehicle management today. It is paramount that the vehicle selected is capable of performing its designated tasks safely. Good plant hire companies, like Mr Plant Hire, can help you make the right choice.
Have you checked the vehicle design and specification?
This means checking the design of the vehicles because some models can present hazards, such as restricted visibility, as well as lack of driver protection from the effects of overturning, noise and vibration.
It is particularly important to be vigilant when it comes to dumper hire, as some older designs of site dumpers, for example, allowed the vehicle to be knocked easily into gear as the driver dismounted.
A summary checklist
The following are important factors to consider:
- stability under all foreseeable operating conditions;
- safe access to and from the cab and other working locations on the vehicle;
- effective braking systems;
- adequate visibility for the driver all around the vehicle;
- headlights, a horn, windscreen wipers and warning devices, eg reversing alarms;
- physical guards to protect dangerous parts such as power take-off shafts, chain drives, trapping points and exposed exhaust pipes;
- protection for the driver from work hazards, eg working at height and falling from the vehicle, falling objects and the effects of the vehicle overturning; and
- protection for the driver from the weather, noise, vibration, noxious fumes and dusts.
Choose Mr Plant Hire for comprehensive safety advice
Whether you are looking at dumper hire, lifting equipment hire or other construction equipment hire across Enfield or the London area, Mr Plant Hire should be your first port of call.
The long-established Mr Plant Hire plc was founded in 1981 and the Company has always been determined to ensure top quality plant, an excellent level of service and an unequivocal commitment to safety continuing as a top priority.
Members of the team are available to visit customers either at their offices or on site upon request, thus providing a personal service with the confidence of getting things right first time.
We pride ourselves on both pre-hire and post-hire service which we employ to ensure our customers’ full satisfaction throughout our partnership. Contact the Mr Plant Hire team now for safety advice on your next plant hire.
Click here to read part 2 – 4 key checks